Most people want to have children but cannot because of infertility. In vitro fertilization (otherwise known as IVF), an assisted reproductive technology is a way that infertile couples may be able to achieve pregnancy safely and successfully.
At Lily Fertility Centre (LFC), we have been assisting couples experiencing difficulty with conception for over a decade. Established in 2008 with the aim of assisting couples to realize their dream of conception using various
One of the better-known fertility treatments, in vitro fertilization (IVF) involves fertilizing an ovum with a sperm in an IVF laboratory and then transferring the resulting embryo(s) to a woman’s uterus with the aim achieving conception. IVF treatment is an assisted reproductive technology (ART) method suitable for couples suffering of infertility
Couples with the following conditions can benefit from IVF treatment:
- Ovulation disorders
- Blocked or damaged fallopian tubes
- Male factor infertility such as Low sperm count, poor sperm morphology, poor motility, infections e.t.c.
- HIV discordant couples.
- Unexplained infertility.
IVF treatment has many benefits, as well as certain risks. Below are general risks and benefits to note when considering IVF treatment. On consultation, your fertility specialist will be able to go into detail about the various risks and benefits of IVF treatment.
- As there are with any surgical procedure, in vitro fertilization has certain risks associated with it. Due to technology and medical expertise required for successful IVF treatment, treatment cycles can be expensive, and the initial cycle is not 100% guaranteed.
- The use of multiple embryos during embryo transfer could result in multiple births.
- Approximately 5% of patients stimulated for IVF treatment may encounter Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome (OHSS). However, this can be taken care of by your physician.
- Others may include: ectopic pregnancy (extra uterine pregnancy); Drug reactions; irritation at site of injection; Headache; Restlessness; and Fatigue.
- One of the most obvious benefits of in vitro fertilization is that it can enable an infertile couple to have a healthy baby.
- IVF treatment can also reduce the need for surgery on the fallopian tubes.
- It reduces the risk of transfer of HIV infection in discordant couples.
In a recent study, nearly 1,000 European children who were conceived through in vitro fertilization and monitored from birth until age 10 were shown to be as healthy as children who were conceived naturally. Hence, IVF is deemed a safe method of conception.